Press release: Amsterdam Denim Days 2015: Public programme
Amsterdam will be transformed into a rhapsody of blue from 13 to 18 April 2015, during the second edition of Amsterdam Denim Days, the ultimate festival for denim aficionados. In addition to the invite-only Kingpins Show programme for businesses and the ‘Kingpins 2029, Transformers’ seminar, several events will be open to the public. Various retailers and other participants will be hosting the week-long City Center programme, and the Blueprint denim festival, scheduled to be held on the Westergasterrein site on 17 and 18 April, will feature a selection of leading denim labels, special workshops, exclusive denim items and exhibitions, bands and DJs, along with ‘culinary entertainment’.
Blueprint – two-day denim festival
Denim lovers from all over will be heading to the Blueprint festival, scheduled to be held on the Westergasterrein (former Gasworks) site in West Amsterdam on Friday 17 and Saturday 18 April (held in the Zuiveringshal, Machinegebouw and outdoor sites). See, Do & Enjoy denim in all its facets!
Pre-sale tickets are €15 (€17.50 at the door) and are available at www.amsterdamdenimdays.com/ams.
For initial highlights from the blueprint programme:
- G-Star RAW is launching Restored Denim, Restored Denim repairs ripped and distressed jeans using techniques taken from the brand’s extensive workwear archive.
- Get inspired by the denim expo, featuring unique vintage items from the personal archives of Jason Denham (Denham The Jeanmaker) and curated by denim expert Wouter Munnichs (Long John).
- Scotch & Soda Amsterdams Blauw will be showing ALCHEMY BLUES (first, exclusive showing): five highly exclusive selvedge jackets, one of which has been selected and produced in a limited edition of just 250. You even have a chance to win the very last collector’s piece during the Blueprint event!
- The exhibition of international designer talent features extraordinary denim items designed by the likes of Dusty Thomas, Matthew Dolan, Camiel Fortgens, Sixty-Nine and Ximon Lee.
- View the collections of the finalists of the first Global Denim Awards 2014, an innovative partnership between international designers and denim weavers that is all about true skill and creativity. Designers, take note: you can sign up for the Global Denim Awards 2015 during the Blueprint event.
- Candiani Loom State – premium jeans, “every stitch made in Amsterdam”. And just when you thought the afternoon couldn’t get any better, celebrated Italian denim weavers Candiani will demonstrate the entire production process, from stitch to jeans. Students of the Jean School and the Amsterdam Fashion Institute (AMFI) will cut and stitch the premium denim – weaved by Candiani on the spot – into a customised 5-pocket pair of jeans.
- Get your hands blue: sit down and get cracking in not one, but two exclusive workshops; Indigo Katazome: the Blueprint Amsterdam Print Studio will teach you to apply the art of Katazone, a traditional Japanese method of dyeing fabrics, on a bandanna. Sashiko & Boro Jeans Repair by Facing West: in this workshop, taught by Lizzie Kroeze, you will learn the fundamentals of various ancient Japanese stitching methods, which you will get to practise on either an indigo bandanna or your own pair of jeans. To sign up and for workshop times, see amsterdamdenimdays.com/ams.
- Shop your Kings of Indigo Red Light Denim, sustainable and innovative jeans made from post-recycled denim, and 3D-print your own buttons, rivet or key hanger – or any other part of your jeans.
- DENHAM Service Co will provide a complimentary repair service on-site. Give your worn-out pair of jeans a second life – be sure to bring them with you on the day!
- A number of seminars are scheduled for Saturday 18 April, including the denim trend presentation by trend forecaster Amy Leverton (author of Denim Dudes: Street Style, Vintage, Workwear, Obsession).
- On Friday from 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Saturday from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., the Machinegebouw will be filled with spectacular live music, with performances by Bella Hay (DJ) and Qeaux Qeaux Joans with band on Friday night. Jam de la Crème is taking the stage on Saturday with a selection of music from major Dutch talents.
- The outdoor site will play host to the Denim Market, where you can buy vintage and new denim items, cool gadgets and accessories and stock up on the latest designs from Tenue de Nîmes, Concrete Matter, Butcher’s Vintage Shop (from Butcher of Blue) and Pig & Hen.
- There will be more shopping opportunities inside, at the HTNK Curated Denim Store, which offers a large number of cutting-edge and on-trend brands such as Benzak Denim Developers, C. Cruden, Dumluck, The Denim Foundry & INK Inklusive, Dyemond Goods and Indigo People.
- The American Book Center pop-up shop will be selling a range of lifestyle books devoted to denim. On Friday 17 April, author Amy Leverton will be signing copies of her book Denim Dudes: Street Style, Vintage, Workwear, Obsession.
And still more to come…
City Center – downtown Amsterdam
Throughout the week-long Amsterdam Denim Days event, the specialCity Center programme will be open to all members of the public. Cycle or walk the indigo route along participants such as Tenue de Nîmes, G- Star RAW, Denham, Lee Jeans, Chasin’, Good Genes, Scotch & Soda, Scotch & Soda Amsterdams Blauw, Concrete Matter, Episode, by AMFI, American Book Center and Libertine Gallery. Get a genuine denim sleeve at one of the six Coffee Company branches and have a look inside the brand-new Denim City in De Hallen (open to the public exclusively during Denim Days).
For those of you who don’t live in Amsterdam, MacBike offers a special 25% discount on rental bikes during Amsterdam Denim Days, which you can use to accompany us on our tour of the city’s various fashion locations and to transport you to the Westergasterrein site.
The map of the blue route across Amsterdam will be available on our website from 1 April, as well as from all participating retailers and various hot spots around Amsterdam. Stay tuned for more details on the programme, to follow in early April!
Amsterdam Denim Days is an initiative of House of Denim created in collaboration with the American Kingpins Show, Modefabriek, HTNK Fashion recruitment & consultancy and the city of Amsterdam.
For more information, please contact:
Amsterdam Denim Days / Blueprint Communications & PR
Nieke Mulder (firstname.lastname@example.org/ams)
Amsterdam Denim Days / Seminar programme
Mariette Hoitink (email@example.com/ams)
For HR images: firstname.lastname@example.org